View Single Post

Old 12-27-2023, 03:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
Set a couple of things straight. Comcast/spectrum is an all copper network I doesn’t matter if fiber is used somewhere in its network path, the copper network is compromised and the more network traffic, people using the network at the same time, performance will tank.. Copper networks might have decent download speeds but that all have higher latencies and very slow upload speeds. Also, it doesn’t matter which network provider you use, you will not get a rj-45 connection, fiber or no fiber. Most people will just use wifi which is slow.
If you can get fiber to your house, this will be the best network you can get and probably at the cheapest cost.
Also there is at least 2 fiber companies that offer internet, the newest company is for the newer areas south of 44.
To slightly disagree...

The Quantum fiber offer of 500mbps up and down comes with up to four wifi "pods"
Each of the pods has 2 rj45 (ethernet) connections. True that you are still limited by wifi speeds to the pods. The wifi speed to my phone, which is in my front office while the pod is in the living room, is 398 down and 169 up.

What I also did, which was quite easy, was to take the telephone cables and change the plug and wall plate to RJ45 and put a $25 switch in the low voltage box where all of the phone cables go and the Quantum modem is there. This gives me ethernet to every room in my house. My ethernet speeds are 495 down and 949 (yes 949) up. My speeds are measured by speedtest.net.