View Single Post

Old 12-28-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
My 15" screen HP laptop approx. (3 years old) running windows 11 has a strange problem.

The images start to shake all over my screen like I'm seeing double, (no, this is before happy hour.)

I shut it down, it's fine for a while, then the double images come back.
If it goes in a sleep mode and it wakes up it's fine again for a while.

I do all the updates; I updated all the drives without any change.
You think it's dying?

Any Ideas??
Most likely heat related. Most likely not your screen. Laptops, especially those with more substantial graphics cards and CPUs tend to run hot, and if not run on a cooling pad or at least on a firm surface that allows airflow under and around it (e.g. not on your lap smothering the bottom), heat is a killer. It could be something as simple as a failing fan (graphics card or main) in the laptop, but that might not be easily or cheaply replaced. My old MSI laptop ran so hot it melted the onboard Wi-Fi and warped the back of the case and I had to go to a USB Wi-Fi. My current ASUS gaming laptop, likewise, runs hot with an i9 processor and GeForce 3070Ti graphics card, and I run it on a cool surface, opened up Armoury Crate (ASUS control software) and turned things down a bit. Unless your laptop is pretty new, it's probably cheaper and smarter to just get a new one, as they are pretty cheap these days compared to repair costs and once repaired, you still have an old laptop that will likely fail again in the same way.