View Single Post

Old 12-29-2023, 01:50 PM
Default Closed captioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
We have stayed with it from the first episode and many times Doc Martin (Martin Clunes) has annoyed me, but the whole show is excellent entertainment. If you like Martin Clunes he has made many other shows, one of which is A is for Acid and you need a strong stomach for that one. He has also done some incredible travel documentaries of various places around the world.

I also like Shetland, but the actors all have strong Scottish accents and I miss a lot of the dialog. I love Vera, but again it is set in Liverpool (Beatles country) and I have a hard time understanding the accent.
That *reminds* me! Whilst watching that first episode we dug through the flinker options and managed to get "closed captioning" back going, again, as we'd otherwise have little hope of following the dialogue. Innit? *But*, as we've returned for subsequent episodes, we've accessed them via my attempt at "recording" the series on DVR. Once I click on those "recorded" offerings, I can then click on "episodes" and scroll down through the "seasons" and ultimately open the appropriate first season episode - via something called "XUMO", I think. Not only will that entity not allow "fast forward" or "rewind", but it refuses to recognize that we've gone to the trouble of setting this "smart" TV to "Closed Captioning *ON*"! Grrr.

We've come to rely on being able to click on "resume" when returning to a show on which I've fallen prematurely asleep and the wifey has had to hit "pause". This "XUMO" thing offers no such option and doesn't even seem to *care*!

Doc is precisely the type of abnormal character with whom I can identify, and I'm as big a sucker for the various British accents and slang as anybody, and would *love* to learn the secret of digging up more such series - but would prefer to *never* interact with XUMO, again. TIA for any tutorial assistance. Maybe I just need to try the "search" feature each time as we did with Monk. BTW, hadn't realized how pitiful those Monk episodes got towards the end. . .