View Single Post

Old 12-30-2023, 09:54 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,228 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Actually Vera is set on other side of country from Liverpool.
Northumberland/Newcastle area.
The local accent is very hard to understand, and the Vera series is as near English as it gets.
Northumberland is a very scenic area, but the local accent is hard for many to understand.
We use sub-titles for most shows now, as 'Kings English' has long disappeared from public broadcasting.
Another series worth watching is Luther if you can get it.
Idris Elba stars. It's brilliant.
There is a Christmas Special of Vera. My wife and I are watching it tonight.
Haven't seen Midsommer Murders mentioned. Worth a watch.
Why anyone would want to live in or near that village, I fail to understand, half the population get murdered weekly!
Two Bills, about those villages in your country, I know what you mean. There are so many of them where somebody gets murdered every week. Grantchester is the same way, like Father Brown. (I have been known to wonder if those priests were actually murderers.)

Jessica Fletcher’s Cabot Cove, Maine, certainly had its share of murders, but could not hold a candle to all those British villages with bodies turning up on a regular basis.

I absolutely love the British mysteries. We do not have to see horrible scenes of violence — and the murderers in the British mysteries almost always know their victims. None of that random murder stuff.

Boomer