View Single Post

Old 01-01-2024, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,525 Times in 2,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
diesel in and of itself can't spontaneously combust, and is not subject to ignition below the flashpoint temp of approximately 130 degrees F /

the fuel type of the car in this case does not exonerate the battery, though still waiting on the fire report, which mostly likely won't be published but will have to be retrieved.
Neither gasoline nor lithium batteries spontaneously combust either. Clearly, there was some form of ignition.

From one article:
“We don’t believe it was an electric vehicle,” Andrew Hopkinson, chief fire officer for Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said. “It’s believed to be diesel-powered, at this stage all subject to verification.”

The Daily Mail reported that the fire started under the hood of a Range Rover diesel, caused by an electric fault or fuel line leak.
I believe in another thread I posted information that the engine choices for a Range Rover hybrid do not include diesel. Therefore, being a diesel-fueled Range Rover exonerates lithium auto batteries. Now, if you are suggesting that lead acid batteries present an unacceptable risk of fire....

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough