View Single Post

Old 01-07-2024, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,280 Times in 2,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
I have a John Deer X350. Granted, it's only 1 step above the Home Depot lawn mower models, but I thought it was a decent machine. I bought the snowblower attachment for like $1600 but even with chains, the 1 wheel drive was useless. It just wouldn't move in the snow. I lost $800 on that thing and went out and bought this Toro. 5 years and going like new. Luckily my driveway isn't too bad. It takes less than an hour even with 10" of snow.
I can relate to the difficulty plowing with that thing. My Kubota is a 50 HP diesel 4WD with agricultural tires, and the rear tires are loaded with an antifreeze type fluid to add more weight and traction. Even with that setup the Tractor spins out sometimes when pushing over a foot of wet heavy snow. Today’s storm was the light fluffy stuff, so no issues. I also have a plow on my Honda Foreman 450 ATV, but that doesn’t weigh enough to push more than about 6 inches of light snow. The Quad plow is nice to get into tight spaces where the tractor won’t fit, or to use when the driveway isn’t frozen because the tractor would tear up the unfrozen gravel. Oh well, won’t have to worry about clearing snow anymore this winter, by the time I get back from the Villages it will be the spring mud season and the maple sugaring season will be long since past.