View Single Post

Old 01-15-2024, 08:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,550 Times in 2,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Look for this type of programming to continue in the future. Make no mistake, this game switch to Peacock was a test...by both NBC and the NFL, to see if people would bite on what was basically a pay-per-view playoff game. The results are in, and the Chiefs vs Dolphins game was the highest live-streamed sporting event ever on a pay channel in the USA. It was also the largest internet event ever, consuming 30% of the internet traffic during the game. I guess a whole lot of people just couldn't say no.
For many, it was not a pay-per-view game at all. I simply launched the Peacock app I had already been using for over a year - no additional expense. Other than being a playoff game, was this broadcast any different than the Prime games earlier in the year?

It was a test by NBC to see if fans would become subscribers. It's not clear how that worked out. The claim is that 23M watched the game but not all of those were new subscribers. In 2022, there were about 30M viewers for the wildcard games. Is 23M a good number for NBC since some (probably large) portion of those were new subscribers? Or, did they pay a lot of money to attract 20% fewer viewers than last year?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 01-15-2024 at 08:25 AM.