Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 10-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Julie

You know Bare, I was told that I would have difficulty conceiving prior to getting married. My husband and I discussed the options and had decided to be a childless couple and we were both perfectly fine with that choice. Six years into our relationship my breasts became unbelievably tender (I hope that is not too descriptive), but the pain was really like nothing else I had experienced. At that point I told my husband that I should probably go to the doctor to be tested.

When the nurse called to tell me the good news about me being pregnant, I cried. I know that probably sounds horrible to some people, but we had resigned ourselves to a childless life and we were both OK with that decision. In fact, adjusting to the idea of now we're going to add another person to our relationship was difficult.

Having our son was truly a miracle and probably the best thing that ever happened to our relationship. I feel blessed to have been given the opportunity to become a mother and raise such a fine young man whom I am now very proud. I often question God and ask how I was so lucky to have been given my son who means the world to me.

That said, I do not make judgements of other people who made the choice to not have children. I was in their shoes at one time and believe life would have still been very sweet without children.

How do you feel about your decision to not have children? Do people ever try to make you feel as if you made the wrong choice?