Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 10-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post

How do you feel about your decision to not have children? Do people ever try to make you feel as if you made the wrong choice?
Julie, I'm happy that you were blessed with a son. Obviously The Universe intended that you should be a mom.

I always wished I could have lived two parallel lives. The first one child free with an interesting career. And the second, as a stay-at-home mom with six kids and a wonderful, supportive husband. Since we only get one life to live, I choose Door Number One.

I feel I made the right choice for me. Although I must confess I have a few seconds of remorse when I see a mother/daughter with a strong bond. But I also have friends who are mothers who are estranged from their daughters.
I never wanted to be a single mother. It is a hard life to work and raise kids alone. Since I ended up being married more than once, I think the childless decision was the right one for me. I would have needed a strong support system if I had children plus a career.

The reason I started this topic was that I recently had lunch with a friend who is 52. She has a daughter who is 21, in university, on drugs, and constantly demanding money from her mother, to whom she is rude and unappreciative. My friend said to me "I wish I'd never had kids". I also have friends who have daughters who adore them and I admire the wonderful relationships they create.

It got me thinking about the many choices we make during our lifetime, and how they change our lives.