View Single Post

Old 01-27-2024, 12:44 PM
Default My opinion on exclusive 4 somes in pickleball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I’m in a weekly 4-some of pickleball players who play each week during open play at the Rec Center. We’re on the courts at the crack of dawn and usually play until about 830 AM or so. Up until January, there has been no waiting to get onto a court. Now that we’re in snowbird season, a line starts forming around 745AM, which is understandable for this busy time of year. Our group is probably at an “advanced beginner” stage, but none of us are rated, as we are just out to have fun and get some exercise.

Question - while waiting our turn in line, a group of 3 in front of us who’s turn it was to go onto the court needed a 4th person, we allowed a single person behind us in line to go in front of our group of 4, so that we could wait and play together when a court became available for us. This infuriated a man further back in line who yelled out at us to split up and for one of us to join the group of 3 ahead of us. The man was pretty belligerent and wouldn’t let it drop, even after the fact. We just smiled at him and didn’t respond to his outburst. I noticed a group of 4 ladies playing together did the same thing, as they wanted to play as a group. If we were in error, we surely want to be corrected, and play by the rules, but I never remember in pickleball class this particular issue ever being brought up. Was hoping someone from the pickleball community could chime in whether what we did is permissible or not. Thank you for your replies.

Michael, Usually your comments are well liked and you have a loyal following, me included.

However this time, I think you were wrong on many fronts.

First pickleball is a great game where you can play anywhere by just showing up. You don’t need to bring a group with you and you meet a lot of nice folks playing with different players. And with the Villages – it’s the world’s most friendly place.

If you want to have an exclusive 4some from 7am to 8:30am at open court time you are in the wrong place. What if there were 6 exclusive 4somes? It would tend to destroy what makes the game great for other players that just show up to play.

It sounds like you don’t even break your group up when one other person shows up to play. Do you continue as a group or let others join you?

But if you insist upon only playing with your 4some, it would be a great idea to be able to divide the line by 4, so nobody realizes what you are doing to the integrity of the game where folks can just show up and meet great people (except your exclusive 4 some).

And then you said, you are an un-rated advanced beginner. I think the beginner pickleball classes recommend you play at beginner or advanced beginner times.

But even if you play at open court time, and hopefully not where 4.0 and above tend to play, you are still wrong if you are unwilling to play with others that may challenge your game or you challenge their game.

Folks all the time, create situations where they can play one game together. Ladies do it. Men do it. Couples do it. And that is perfectly fine. But I don’t believe they are as exclusive as your described group that wants to play all morning as an exclusive group.

And folks preparing for a tournament play continuously as a 2some to prepare for the tournament. And everyone appreciates that exclusivity. (But not an exclusive 4some).

Many players are friendly enough that they will play at least one game with anyone before they start counting to 4 to not play every game with somebody out of their league – either the other person is too good a player or not.

Now as far as the infuriated man. He was wrong – he should not yell at you. And you were right not to escalate the encounter. Wouldn’t it be nice if we had somebody watching over us like at recess when we were kids. None of this would have ever happened.

And finally, you asked if what you are doing to the game by having an exclusive 4som all morning is permissible. Technically yes, but I hope it doesn’t catch on and ruin the game for most of us who just like to play and meet new friends.

I hope, in the future, you allow others to play with you at open court times.