Thread: Golf Cart Gas
View Single Post

Old 01-30-2024, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,716 Times in 3,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX rider View Post
This is not correct. All modern power equipment is made to run on regular gas, including golf carts.
If ethanol free was required it would be in the owners manual, which it is not for a Yamaha. Besides they would never require something that is not readily available everywhere.

My brother is a longtime powersports dealer in Indiana. He sells Polaris and Kawasaki. None require non ethanol gas. They don't even sell it there.
And the engines and fuel injection on those are much more high tech than a single cylinder golf cart engine. It's a waste of money to buy NE gas.

I've had many different dirtbikes, SxS's and four wheelers over the years. Some carb and many fuel injected. Always ran pump gas and I've never had a fuel related issue.
1. I never said required. I said recommended.
2. I never mentioned the owners manual, because I've never read it.

87 octane gas is recommended (notice once again - I'm not saying required) - because it contains less than 10% ethanol. That is WHY 89 octane gas is recommended. It is WHY higher octane gas is /not/ recommended: because the higher octane gas is more likely to contain more ethanol.

Ethanol is not good for these engines. It stands to reason that gas with NO ethanol would be optimum. But - it's not required, because any unleaded gas with less than 10% ethanol in it (such as 87 octane regular unleaded) will work fine for most gas golf carts. Carts that are left for months without using, might need that non-eth, to prevent separation and moisture accumulation.