View Single Post

Old 02-04-2024, 08:51 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,791 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop63 View Post
Trying to understand whether it makes sense to start out my village journey with a new or used Golf cart, electric or gas? My sense tells me to buy used until I have a better sense of what I will need it for, other than golf and the occasional leisurely rides to the town squares. I am not retired yet so will probably drive to stores if it’s faster. It seems like electric carts would depreciate faster given the steady decline of the battery.

If I go with a gas cart, how many miles do these things run on average before repairs become more frequent? Would like a general idea of when to buy and sell, to minimize depreciation and breakdowns. Looking for the proverbial Goldilocks zone.

Based on my recent visit, Yamaha seems like the most popular gas power cart in the Villages??

I am interested in all opinions. I have no basis for making a decision yet. Thanks in advanced.
You''ll probably get so many opinions you'll be more confused that ever. We had several carts before retiring and moving to the villages. Only one was electric, that was the one and only, never again. Many will dismiss or refute this, but we found when an electric cart does have a problem when you are actually out in it, most of us have no idea what to do. Yet, most, not all, but most people, do know the basics of care for such things as a lawn mower, and a gas cart is not that many grades above a lawn mower. When we bought batteries for our electric cart, it was a MAJOR expense, far more than gasoline, and the the gas cart was not sucking electricity all night ever time we'd come back for a round.People say gas carts are loud, they are louder than electric, so if your #1 priority is quiet, and electric will surely not disappoint you. We have personally found Club car the most dependable gas cart. It requires little maintenance, clean oil and filter once a year... 20 minute job at most (15 of that opening the cap and letting the old drain into a pan), a couple turns to screw the new filter on, not much to it. We had one Club car we purchased used, and we used it for 18 years with ONE new battery, and one new set of 4 tires ! Many will make the same argument for electrics, so, good luck with which ever you chose.