Thread: Havana
View Single Post

Old 02-09-2024, 09:05 AM
Default Idiot & Dope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Palmer is a disaster, especially considering the both Laurel & Riley Grove have been "renovated" over the last 18 months.

Part of the issue, is supposedly the different water withdrawal permits. North of 466 (Glenview/OBH/Lopez) are operating under a different permit, that allows them to use more water.

In some respects, that's a red herring. Water isn't the only thing that makes a golf course green. I've managed golf courses under strict water withdrawal provisions and it simply means you have to use other methods to keep your golf course is good condition (read that, as more expensive measures).

Those that suggest it's "just the winter months" are again, making excuses. There's nothing much different about this winter, than any other winter. Golf courses are designed to operate in the wide variety of weather they're likely to expect, given the climate they're located in.

Any idiot can manage turf conditions, with unlimited water availability, but unlimited water usage is a vestige of the old days. Any dope can manage a golf course conditions, when the weather is perfect for growing. When you hire amateurs to manage your turf, you get what's going on in TV right now. When you have a captive audience who will pay for mud greens, why spend the money to hire professionals?
Pretty strong words you use. I agree the course's greens are in poor condition, but my question to you is, were you the Golf Course Manager or the USGA certified Golf Course Superintendent? If you answered yes to the Superintendent, than you must be right. If you were the Manager, you should do more homework before calling people idiots or dopes. There is WAY MORE to it besides water.