View Single Post

Old 02-11-2024, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualcynthia View Post
I was having a relaxing Sunday afternoon until I started reading this thread. Now my emotions are going every which way. The financial seems a little easier to plan than the actual human care side.

My husband was a driver for Sumter senior living so we have an inside look at what it’s really like. I would never sell my house to buy a space at an assisted-living facility. Sumter senior living was very nice and then management changed and the chef changed and the meals were terrible and the halls were dirty. The only good thing was because it was a rental. The residents could leave at any time. The issue was, where do they go.

We have so many clubs. There should be one called Solo Agers that discusses all these issues.
I 100% that the financial side is the easy part; assuming you can afford it, you'll always be able to find a place--whether it be independent or assisted living or a nursing home--that will take you. But that's only half the problem.

Anyone who has spent any significant time as a patient in a hospital, rehab facility, or assisted living facility knows first hand that the care & attention you receive when you have friends / family who visit regularly & who advocate for & help manage your care is VASTLY better than the care that elderly patients w/ no one visiting or helping them receive. That's just facts.

YES--there definitely should be a club or organization in The Villages for solo agers! I vote that you start one Cynthia!!

Anyone willing to second my nomination??