View Single Post

Old 02-12-2024, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,769 Posts

I agree that this is a very important topic given how many seniors we have who are really alone. Even if they have family. One of the problems I have seen with managing an incapacitated person’s finances is the conflict of interest in having a person benefit in your Will and giving the same person power of attorney both over your health and your finances. If they spend the money on you for any reason, it lessens their inheritance. You can be worth more dead than alive. The sooner the better.

One thought I had was having two people responsible for POA one gets compensated and does the work, the other one gets reported to say once a month. One of the people can be perhaps a social worker. The other a family member. Possible problem family member fires social worker.

We are still left with who will be your hospital advocate? The problem I see is the need for good will from family, from friends etc - I can’t see a person easily paying for that when they no longer have the ability because they are incapacitated. I suppose it is left to shopping (like at Amazon or for medical services). You need a geriatric management group which has great reviews by past families in order to trust them. Because isn’t that what it comes down to? Who can you trust when you are helpless and most vulnerable?