View Single Post

Old 02-25-2024, 01:22 PM
Default Dear Future Snowbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
I’ve been a full time resident here in the Villages for 6 years and am looking to turn into a snowbird.

For those who go back and forth, how do you manage Health care? I have doctors here, but I’m aging into Medicare so I’m need to chose a Medicare plan. The popular plans don’t seem to work outside of central Florida. I’d like to have most of my planned medical care, including my primary at my summer home.

Are there Medicare plans that work anywhere in the US? Or do I pick a plan that works in my snowbird state and then just use regular Medicare here? I do have the option of holding onto my federal retirement medical insurance. Can I use that as backup for Florida in case of emergencies while I’m here in the winter?
Whatever you decide, please stay away from Advantage plans. They restrict your coverage to only certain providers. Go with a Supplemental Plan. I have AARP's United HealthCare (Supplemental) Plan, and I am really happy with it. It will cover me anywhere in the U.S. as long as the provider accepts this plan. I have not yet encountered a (Medicare) provider who rejects this insurance, since providers seem to generally have positive experiences with them.