View Single Post

Old 02-27-2024, 06:38 AM
Default 2008 housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager2be View Post
Hi All,

Hoping to get some feedback from those who have been around TV since the 2008/09 Great Recession, I have been getting "pro" feedback that the 08-09 housing crash nationally, and in Florida specifically, essentially had zero impact on the Villages market, that TV was a rare exception and was essentially unscathed, can that possibly be true?

The same source also indicates that I am practically assured that any new home that I buy now will be worth ~$100k more in a year once the neighborhood/area is completed and more mature. As great as that would be, I am not drinking that kool-aid (yet, lol!), especially as it seems the market has been softening a bit over the last year (can it be?).

Given your experience, and how far the market has come, would you even be concerned about downside risk? I am buying as a snowbird owner/resident but also hope to recoup expenses by hosting for the remainder of the year via short term rentals through a property management company. I'd rather not buy at a market peak, I would just rent for now if I thought that was the case.
I looked at living in the villages over five years. I watched the Iris model increase in value over $75k in the course of just one year.

I bought over two years ago. My house can sell more than $150k over what I paid if I decided to sell today. In 2008 the villages offered “furniture packages” for the new home sales. Look at the statistics of home sales over the years. This place sells itself. Who does not want a piece of heaven?

With that said, I would take a close look at the location and model before buying. What’s the worse case, you get a great home you enjoy living in.