View Single Post

Old 02-27-2024, 11:00 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,105 Times in 381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Be careful with terminology, I have heard the term supplement referred to both as Medigap plans as well as Advantage plans. Be sure you avoid Advantage plans and focus in on Medigap plans if you want to be sure to avoid both networks and referrals. Advantage plans can appear to be both cheaper and to offer different types of fringe benefits, but we will all eventually all need some expensive medical care and not want to be constrained by networks, not have to seek out referrals, have to worry about what is covered, and have to sort through copay and deductible bills for our health care. In the long run, traditional Medicare with a Medigap and part D prescription policy are the best way to go. Best of luck with your decision.
While I agree with the above, Supplements come at a price. My United Health Care Supplement Plan N comes at $185 per month and my Part D drug plan is $52/month. My former employer pays $1000 per year toward this expense.
Some folks can live within the networks and perhaps count the above expense as their savings.

For a family of two, having a supplement for two, that is a $4000 expense. That can mean a lot to some who are willing to contend with the network issue.