View Single Post

Old 03-02-2024, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
I’ve been a full time resident here in the Villages for 6 years and am looking to turn into a snowbird.

For those who go back and forth, how do you manage Health care? I have doctors here, but I’m aging into Medicare so I’m need to chose a Medicare plan. The popular plans don’t seem to work outside of central Florida. I’d like to have most of my planned medical care, including my primary at my summer home.

Are there Medicare plans that work anywhere in the US? Or do I pick a plan that works in my snowbird state and then just use regular Medicare here? I do have the option of holding onto my federal retirement medical insurance. Can I use that as backup for Florida in case of emergencies while I’m here in the winter?
If you have the option of holding on to your retirement medical insurance, that would probably work out best for you, especially cost wise. It's possible you can keep that and maybe get one chance to switch out of it in the future. If you pick a Medicare medigap supplement plan or Medicare Advantage supplement plan you have are allowed a period of time to switch to another plan without medical underwriting. It may be six months or something like that. Medigap plans offer coverage all over the country and all hospitals take it. Advantage plans are not accepted at all hospitals and that number is declining and some doctors are dropping out of Advantage plans. Find out how your federal plan works at age 65 so you can consider keeping it. You can go to the Medicare website and check out plans and prices. For 2024 Medicare part B costs about $174/mo and Medigap plan G (highest plan is G) about $180/mo and Part D drug plans start at $0/mo. Good luck!