Thread: Grass Rant
View Single Post

Old 03-03-2024, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Sorry, if you were expecting commentary on cannabis.

Is there a lawn care company out there that really knows how to keep a lawn healthy? One that does more than mowing. One with pros who advise you about what is necessary and when, like aeration, drainage problems, and repairing bare spots.

My neighbor takes care of his own lawn. His looks much better than mine, and I've been paying thousands a year for mowing and treatments. The other day, I asked the guy doing the mowing why my grass looks stressed and brown after cutting, compared to my neighbor's. He could only guess. Well, at least he didn't blame it on El Nino. I've had a contract with (rhymes with beans) for 11 years. It seems like their service ain't what it used to be. True, they respond to my complaints, but no improvements.
Had Massey. They almost killed my lawn. Went to ACE and they gave me a sheet of paper for St Augustine. Followed the sheet verbatim. Lawn looked great!

Sunniland Weed and Feed for St A. Most important part Grub Killer year round in FL. Every three months I put granules specific to grubs. Some places say no grubs year round... bs in FL. Brown patches most likely grubs or chinch bugs.

Dollar weed and fungus = too much water. T V isn't the best on drainage as they rush through putting in cookie cutter villas and lawns can get over watered by neighbor spray. So treated to keep neighbors issues at bay.

Moved. Went back to ACE and picked up their sheet on Zoysia grass. Following verbatim.

I remembered with first house how Massey "aeriated" my lawn 2x a yr with a machine that took a chunk out of my sidewalk. Online I found something to aeriate with.

Lol I look like a dork but I bought these metal 3" long spike platforms you put on your shoes to aeriate the grass in early spring. There was a learning curve walking in them but after getting the hang of them I walked the lawn this week and put down Spring weed and feed Sunniland for Zoysia plus Grub granules. I'm sure my neighbors got a good laugh out of watching me walk in these things. Only got stuck a couple times, lol. But hey, it was good leg lift excercise.

Materials to diy is about $150 a year I'd say. Sure beats looking out the window watching your yard die while you pay of Massey who would be at the house a total of 5 min.

I did look for exact ingredients that they put down as well. Termite prevention Termidor SC. I laughed because thats what I used prior to moving to T V. I buy it on Amazon for about $80 and it lasts for years as it is highly concentrated. Spray eves and perimiter of the house 2 x a year have had ZERO bugs since 2015 in all my houses. Great stuff.

DIY is possible you just have to research and be good at using a calendar. Lol and have balance when wearing and walking in 3 inch nail aeriating shoes.

(Another concept to consider relative to how yards look right now is that the sun is being blocked via stratospheric aerosol injections - a known concept to some who look up, iykyk. The lack of sun is effecting plants, trees and grass causing yellowing.

Plus it is still dormant grass season so grass can be brown depending on type. Hopefully the sun will be ALLOWED to shine again soon and plants can recover.)

NOAA CSL: 2023 News & Events: For Stratospheric Aerosol Injection, All Strategies are Not Created Equal

An Ethical Evaluation of Stratospheric Aerosol Injection - Markkula Center for Applied Ethics

Last edited by GizmoWhiskers; 03-03-2024 at 07:32 AM.