View Single Post

Old 03-03-2024, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I thought it would be a useful conversation to have, to discuss various products designed to make one's golf cart less attractive for thieves. The theory being, of course, that we can't make it impossible, but a little deterrence will make it more likely that a thief will move on to someone else's cart.

I was going to post links to all of the products, but that's really a PITA, so anyone who is interested in finding more information online needs merely to GOOGLE a few keywords to educate themselves.

1. "unique" keys, vs. "common" keys, vs. "uncommon" keys. From what I've gleaned on searching "Buggiesgonewild" ( golf cart forum), an "uncommon" key might be what you have if you've had a headlight kit installed on your Yamaha. While it is harder to find than the "common" keys, it is more easily defeated than a "unique" key. As I understand it, to get a "unique" key ignition you have to buy a new one, so labelled, and have it installed.

I am not absolutely sure I understand all of the nuances of this, and would welcome more discussion from someone more knowledgeable. I think I do understand , however, that even such a system can be defeated by someone willing to put the cart in neutral and pull it onto a trailer. Certainly not as easy, and certainly more likely to arouse suspicion, than merely acting like you own the cart with a key that works and driving off in a matter of seconds.

Which leads me to another set of products that in one way or another immobilize the cart mechanically, such as:

1. A wheel boot.
2. A pedal to steering wheel lock bar (which can be used to fix the steering wheel to a part of the frame if the pedal hook doesn't fit the pedal for your particular cart).

3. A pedal lock, which fixes the gas pedal in one spot, and some of them fix the brake in the "set" position making rolling it onto a trailer even more difficult, if not impossible.

My inclination is to get a pedal-to-steering wheel lock bar. Simple, not too expensive (around $30-$40), and immediately obvious to the causal thief that there is easier prey available.

Thoughts?
I use a wheel boot. Makes the cart less attractive. Towing it off harder so a would be theive moves on to an easier target.