Thread: Bay Hill
View Single Post

Old 03-07-2024, 07:29 AM
Default Quashnet

You were not crazy!!! Tommy Sullivan was a good guy. The owner new nothing about golf and hired a college friend of his sons to manage and design the front 9. At one point behind hole #8 they hung a hangmens noose on one of the trees. Which summed up the front 9.

Tommy moved to the Orchards and in a freak lightening storm, he was out on the course getting members to safety, when a tree got struck and landed on him. it killed him. Again, he was a good guy.

And again, you were not crazy. Sometimes it is the fault of poor golf course design and not the golfer. The USGA Greens Sections review of the front 9 was, it needed a a lot of bull dozing to fix.

There is a good golf book on Amazon. Its titled, Golf Murder Mysteries-Breaking the Rules.
It tells of players being murdered at various clubs on Cape Cod, Disney and the Villages, for Breaking a rule of golf. Call it a golf whodunit. Interesting reading..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Well that explains it. I played it once, 35 years ago. A guy named "Sullivan" was there?

I walked away, shaking my head. It was like I was in a parallel universe, with the different 9's. One was atrocious, the other not so bad. I guess now I know why and I wasn't crazy.