View Single Post

Old 03-08-2024, 05:47 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,228 Times in 757 Posts
Default Question(s) About Mutual Funds Bought Through Advisors

I have never bought a mutual fund through an advisor. (I buy them but without an advisor in the middle.)

I know that financial advisors often get paid a 1% annual fee of assets under management, which may vary to a lesser percentage on AUM over a certain amount. This part of advisory fees is clear to me…..

But here’s my question: On top of that fee for AUM, do financial advisors also get paid by the mutual funds they sell? Loads seem obvious to me, but what about those other costs and fees that show up inside mutual funds? Does the advisor get a piece of that action, too?

(I tried to learn about this on the FINRA site which has a section that is supposed to help, but I did not get very far.)

If the advisor is being paid by the funds in addition to being paid by the client, should the advisor report that amount to the client to give a clearer picture of the client’s cost of doing business?

I hope someone knowledgeable here will take pity on me and give me the Cliffs Notes answer to my confusion on this. (So far, no advisor for me, but I am thinking, “What if?”)

In other words, in the world of financial advisors, is there icing on that cake that is the fee quoted for AUM? And, if so, where is it in the mutual funds and/or ETFs?

Boomer