View Single Post

Old 03-09-2024, 10:22 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,229 Times in 757 Posts

Hey, manaboutown, thank you for the compliment. It is definitely not me…..

Wanna hear something really cringeworthy? I looked in on a Bogleheads discussion about her advisory company. It is a big one and you cannot do your own thing with them like with Fidelity or Vanguard or Schwab. The Bogleheads were having a field day ripping them up and down.

I know exactly what you mean about how so many people think they cannot possibly be bothered or think they cannot understand what they need to know about their own money……

But a lot of that is because there is so much smoke and mirrors in presentations given by bad advisors who do not want to make it easy to understand. Bad advisors will either bore the livin’ snot outa clients or razzle-dazzle them with pretty pie charts and graphs or mystify them with financial lingo, all the while just hoping nobody will have the confidence to ask questions in the presence of such brilliance. Sends me straight to the vomitorium whenever I hear such things. I don’t mean they are all bad, but there is a lot of lazy sleaze out there, just trying to get you in the door and then hand you a boilerplate plan. And some of them will even buy you dinner first.

Like I said, my style is very simple with a few low cost mutual funds and a few div stocks and always with cash on the side. And the cash is finally returning something. It’s not complicated and it does not need to be. I do not want or need to know all that fancy stuff. I just have to understand what I am buying or selling and why. If mistakes are made, I would rather own those mistakes than have to blame them on somebody else.

I have a contact person at Fidelity and although I like her, I will not let go of managing our Boomer Fund. But she’s there if I need her and our heirs know who she is and could need her help — or maybe someday even I will let her help us. I just can’t quite do that yet.

There is also a small firm I like in my hometown. They are independent, but everything goes through Schwab and you can see everything yourself, whenever you log on. I like them for a couple of reasons, one of which is that they have a CPA in with them. I might talk with them further……eventually.

Meanwhile, I’m still at it.

Now, I must leave this post so I can go have a little argument with my other TOTV investment forum old cyberspace friend, retiredguy123. He always has good advice, but I see I need to say my piece about his recent post.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 03-09-2024 at 10:42 PM.