View Single Post

Old 03-12-2024, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,505 Times in 2,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Don't see a problem??? Seriously???

Maybe you would allow the insurance company to install cameras in your home to make sure you don't have any unsafe throw rugs that would affect your liability premium? How about a bathroom camera to insure you use the grab bar in the shower correctly??? After all, just like driving, they are "protecting" you by encouraging "safe" behavior and rating up the premiums on those that don't comply with their rules. Yes, Big Brother is watching.
Oddly, this actually makes a good argument for using the data. My insurance rates are calculated according to the "group" I am in (over 55, married, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-year safe driver, anti-theft system, etc). There are likely some in my "group" who regularly drive in an unsafe manner resulting in crashes, claims, and an increase of rates. If my insurance company could know that I was NOT one of those drivers then it could put me in a different group with lower rates and up the premiums on those with the unsafe habits. That actually makes a lot of sense.

Ultimately, however, I agree with you. I don't want to be tracked and I don't want to be monitored, I don't want to give an inch then find out I've lost a mile. That is why I have declined to enroll in any voluntary monitoring program.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough