Old 03-12-2024, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,483 Times in 2,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
It's only a good argument until.....
You get rated up for going 1 mph over the speed limit, or
Slam on the brakes to avoid a 3 year old kid, or
Floor it through the intersection with a green light when you notice some bozo running the red light and headed straight for you.

I'm sure the insurance company would attentively listen to your story, and then rate you up anyway---after all, what's the downside for them?
The way it has worked when the insurance company required the use of the device for my initial policy was that thresholds were set. There was no opportunity for me to explain that I slammed on the brakes to avoid the 3 year old kid but instead, the insurance company took into consideration how many times 3 year old kids were running into the street in front of me. I don't recall if the threshold was three or five or ten incidents in a month but I never reached it.

Yes, the company could lower the threshold to a single incident. They could also reverse the analysis and use the driving habits of those that made claims to adjust the thresholds down.

I don't trust insurance companies and so I haven't volunteered for those type of programs.

Basically, if the pitch includes, "If you are doing nothing wrong then you have nothing to worry about," then I want no part of it.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough