View Single Post

Old 03-14-2024, 01:16 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,770 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
i feel for this guy, really, but who in their right mind fishes on the edge of a pond in Fl>? i would expect exactly that. poor gator was in his home, doing what gators do
Who ? In my opinion (as a Florida native who retired in Florida), I think MANY people in their right mind have no idea, or a very vague idea they may have picked up from movies (?) about exactly what danger an alligator poses to people and animals. If folks come from a midwest state, or plains, northern, etc. where there are no alligators, they have no idea, just as I would have no idea of the dangers posed by a moose, or buffalo (since the only ones I've ever been around were the ones raised by the Villages at one time...and, apparently deemed more dangerous than the alligators since many people sat their grandchildren ON the rails of the herd's pastures... or, perhaps the interest in and price of buffalo meat dropped. But either way, they disappeared. I believe the Florida wildlife department will still remove alligators if reported in place like the Villages, but perhaps no longer since I certainly see my share of them when playing golf. I don't like to be a "chicken little the sky is falling", but, I would hope people would let new comers know it is truly not a good idea to go looking for a ball you think landed very close to the edge of a large pond; DEFINITELY not along the right edge of #8 on Heron !