View Single Post

Old 03-15-2024, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,030 Times in 4,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Palmer, particularly the (2) nines the King designed (supposedly), is the absolute wrong design for The Villages.

Huge, slope-face bunkers, designed to funnel the balls back towards the center of the bunkers (making the shot easier), but leading to a situation that it's difficult (& time-consuming) for older folks to rake their entry and exit foot prints.

I played in a group last year. On the 4th hole on Laurel Valley, bunker on the right-side, 30+ yards from the green ... lost a guy in the bunker.

He was not in optimal health or condition and carried way too much weight above his waist. He slipped on the side slope of the bunker, rolled down to the center (him, not his ball). Took us about 20 minutes to get him out of the bunker. Finally got him out, by "rolling" him towards the lower edge, dragging him out and then "levering" him upright. I wish I had video, but I didn't want to be "one of those", that standby watching & filming the travails of unfortunate circumstances. Would have garnered 1,000,000 views on YouTube.

I'm not defending those who don't rake bunkers, but the Palmer design leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion, for this type of golf environment.
If he was that frail, perhaps you could have raked the bunker for him????? Or someone else in the foursome??? 20 minutes to get him out---could have called 911 quicker.