View Single Post

Old 03-15-2024, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,063 Times in 1,767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
belly dancing the villages fl

returns a couple of articles from the Daily Sun about events that included belly dancing groups, but no information about where the group meets or when. One, The Villages Belly Dancers has a contact name, but no contact information to get in touch with her. And it's dated 2021 so no idea if it's current.

There's information about The Villages Gypsies belly dancing fusion group in a google search, but their facebook page says they've stopped rehearsing and performing as of 2017. And the rec center publication that you have to go to the Daily Sun to find shows they're still a club, and has a name and number but no mention of where they meet. If they meet in Fenney, I wouldn't waste the contact person's time asking for information.

And - that's pretty much it. You can take private lessons from various people near the Villages.

Thing is though - I know there are more belly dancing clubs in The Villages. I've seen them perform. But no idea what their names are or whether they're open for new members, where they practice...and the activities/clubs section of The Villages official information doesn't mention their existence.

In a more modern community, with webmasters who know what they're doing, you'd find a robust search engine with cross-referencing and redundancy. And yes - we're all 55+, many of us are in our 80's. But the WWW first became available to the public in 1989, over 30 years ago. You'd think by now, The Villages Holding Company would have evolved enough to employ web dev technology that hasn't been obsolete for 15 years (that's around how old the tech they're using is).
I wish I could tell you more, I just came across them by accident and didn’t ask any questions. Only once. Maybe it was a closed group that I joined? It’s not really an activity I would do… but I was already there…. We have gypsies in my native country and they don’t belly dance. European Gypsies dance more in the Spanish Flamenco style. Belly dancing is Middle Eastern in origin - completely different music (and continent). It’s sort of like when you go to the library to take out a book and rent a kayak instead.