View Single Post

Old 03-15-2024, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
All definitely among my "fun memories".

You don't want to count the Challenger disaster, among your fun times?
I did watch that live unfortunately. Funny how just trying to do your job gets you killed...isn't it? That was 1986 and I was talking much earlier when I was very young.

I thought it was cool to see a M46 Patton tank sitting and blocking Eastern Ave and Patterson Park Ave during the race riots. Didn't understand it when I saw it. We went into town every Sunday after Mass to go to Mikulski's Bakery, Ostrowski's for homemade kielbasa and kieska, and if we were really lucky the old polish ladies would be making handmade pieroges at one of the Fells Point Parishes. One Sunday there was this giant hulk of Iron directly in front of the bakery, protecting what was left of the little bit of dignity our, my family's, ancestors had. It was very turbulent times then, much like now. Many people chose to ignore it, just like now. I'm embarrassed by the city I grew up in and I know who is to blame.

I'm sorry to be Debbie Downer and it wasn't my initial thought. I had all the usual fun like rolling in fields of splendor and sneaking beers. Just thought I'd give a realistic view of the 60's as a child of a working class family. I will say I had a great time in Scouting....all the way to Eagle. It taught me life skills that help me to this day. My Dad was very nurturing and will always be the best friend I've ever had.