View Single Post

Old 03-15-2024, 06:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
Hmmm....we must have grown up differently. I remember not being allowed to watch the news because of so much violence. Vietnam, race wars, Manson, Bundy, shootings of political figures, kkk and more. On Tv, women did not wear bras and playboy was very popular. They even had private clubs around the country. Maybe not the same foul language as the present, but lots of racism and bigotry. So common place, that a show like All in the Family, was allowed to air and received great ratings. I remember comedians making fun of every nationality known to man. Women were second class citizens and had to stay home.

When my grandchildren watch old tv shows or movies, they ask a lot of questions as they look at me mystified. I have to explain that it was a different time. Women and black people had to fight for equality. Racism was not only allowed; it was a form of comedic entertainment. How does one explain character names like Pussy Galore or Petticoat Junction in a town called Hooterville? Thankfully, we've come a long way since then. Every generation has its scars.
How about the Dean Martin roast specials? Don Rickles? It seemed genuine and people weren’t offended.