View Single Post

Old 03-17-2024, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
We don't have any in our area. I'm told it was discussed some time before I bought here but with the great response times of the VPSD it was determined to be a lot of money, training, and coordination for possibly no return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Average TV response from EMS is around 3-8 minutes given experience in TV, since 2010.
There is an app for your phone called Pulse Point. Next time you hear sirens, open that app and look for the call. Note the time for when that call initiated.
I am about 1 mile from a fire station, and the typical amount of time that passes is longer then 8 minutes for 95% of the calls. And they are still in route to the call. That's not very good. IMO, it's awful for a paid department. Even subtracting 2 minutes drive time, 6+ minutes to get out the door leaves a lot of room for improvement.
Someone having a heart attack needs help a lot faster than that. The "golden window" of less than 4 minutes is the goal to have CPR started if there is any hopes of a good outcome.
The AED program also gets trained help moving asap. Not one, but many people. Some will start CPR. Some will grab the AED. Nearly every time these neighbors arrive well before EMS. It's more than just buying a machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgInLakeDenham View Post
I'll be nice and point out that's exactly what I said....but also you must in exact detail tell us what you will do, after waiting around the most precious moments in someone's life, when the AED says..."No Shock advised". I would appreciate it immensely if you would also explain why you waited for the AED to tell you what I've been saying all along. Tell us how you've contributed to a brain dead victim that you witheld CPR from? Lack of knowledge kills people. Also....you really want to represent Harvard?....
The AED program also trains about what is the right thing to do. That made up example is NOT how people are trained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeaston View Post
My previous post focused on the very different conditions that CPR and AED devices serve. CPR is needed in all cases and is frequently enough to save a life. But there are those rare cases where CPR won't restart a heartbeat. That's when the AEDs make a real difference.

The REAL VALUE of the AED programs hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread. That value is the building of a team of responders in your own neighborhood, along with making available an alerting system for those responders. When a 911 operator alerts EMS teams, a "PulsePoint" alert system is notified at the same time. It sends "CPR Needed" alerts to all trained responders within 1/2 mile of the person who needs attention. That alert system, and a network of trained and willing neighbors is very often able to get to the victim before the EMS teams.

In neighborhoods some distance from a fire station, this makes a huge difference. I live in Chitty Chatty and we have a fire station literally "across the street." I've responded to several alerts and in every case there have been multiple neighbors responding and in every case someone has been there to start CPR before the EMS team arrived. Every second counts and the earliest possible CPR is the best remedy.

THAT, in my mind, is the value of the program. Without those neighbors, a victim is left waiting ... and probably not spending their fading moments whining about a $100 contribution.
EXACTLY !!

But please remember that CPR + AED is not a miracle cure for a heart attack. Even with both on scene, survival rates are very low, but there is a chance a life can be saved. Hovever, without them, they will die 100% of the time.
Somebody having a heart attack has several factors that caused that to happen. Those conditions don't vanish when help arrives. The goal is to keep the patient viable until advanced life support can intervene, and get them to a hospital with all the modern life saving equipment and medicines are available.