View Single Post

Old 03-19-2024, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,080 Times in 2,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Ever hear of an oil related failure? Here's my opinion on oil change interval. I think many spend a lot more than necessary on unneeded maintenance.

Today's engines along with current oil formulations easily tolerate even the worst abuse from extended use of oil. As long as there is sufficient oil in the crankcase you are unlikely to see any type of failure from not changing oil regularly. Nothing wrong with changing oil frequently if you want to spend the money on unnecessary maintenance, but even manufacturers recommendations have greatly increased time / milage. Every 3,000 miles or 6 months has increased to every 7,500 or 1 yr for non synthetic and much longer for synthetic.
So, you work in auto repair field and never heard of oil repaired failure? You can bet 99% was due to lack of maintenance from people who never check or change oil.

Did you read the Mobil one LIMITED warranty. After one year you’re on you own. Did you watch the video what Toyota mechanic had to say? Sure you leave in as long as you want as long as you know where dipstick is. IMO the problem arises when some go by oil indicators percentage and never check oil that keep vehicle over 6 or so years. That’s when lack of oil changes/checking starts coking process. Agree you can do nothing if you trade every few years. I bet there no oil manufacture recommendations longer than 1 year? Why cause oil start breaking down due to heat cycles. Sure you can oil tested but eventually that defeats cost oil change. Commercial trucking different, over road driving different. When vehicles takes gallons of oil cost effective to have it tested.

This was not started for people has has some knowledge on oil changes and internals and know where dip stick is. . It for one’s that go strictly by oil life cycle on dash which in my case could take 3 or more years of stop and go driving to reach recommended limit on oil life. Plus the oil manufacture don’t recommend longer than 1 year. If you check oil occasionally and trade within few years you will probably never experience VVT rattle or stuck piston rings cause it takes years of neglect to cause those problems.