View Single Post

Old 03-26-2024, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,207 Times in 2,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have been diagnosed with a loss of cartlidge in my knee. I talking to several people that have been in similar situation it seems they all said to forget about the braces and injections, etc., and just go for the replacement, anything else is just delaying the inevitable. Also, many have said that the side procedure is much better than the front procedure.

So, I am looking for advice from people that have had this done and a recommendation for very good surgeon, as well any other firsthand advice, like who to stay away from.
Please feel free to use Private Message if you would prefer not to put your comments on the open site or to talk to me directly.

My goal is to get back to bowling and some golfing without the current pain.
Had my right knee replaced 13 years ago with the old fashioned front procedure. Knee still works great except it’s difficult to kneel on it. I had it done up north so can’t recommend a doctor in the greater Villages area. I’m very happy I had it done and the left one will be getting replaced very soon when I’m eligible for Medicare and a good Medigap plan. Football, basketball, lacrosse, water skiing, and mogul sking trashed my knees at a relatively young age. The key to a successful replacement (other than a good surgeon) is to really commit to work hard on the post operative rehabilitation regime. If you don’t work hard on the range of motion exercises (which are painful), you’ll never get back close to full range of motion. Any exercise you can get pre operative to strengthen the leg and muscles around the knee will also help with the recovery process. Best of luck!