View Single Post

Old 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,688 Times in 1,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have been diagnosed with a loss of cartlidge in my knee. I talking to several people that have been in similar situation it seems they all said to forget about the braces and injections, etc., and just go for the replacement, anything else is just delaying the inevitable. Also, many have said that the side procedure is much better than the front procedure.

So, I am looking for advice from people that have had this done and a recommendation for very good surgeon, as well any other firsthand advice, like who to stay away from.
Please feel free to use Private Message if you would prefer not to put your comments on the open site or to talk to me directly.

My goal is to get back to bowling and some golfing without the current pain.
I had my left knee done six years ago. Fantastic surgeon. Unfortunately he practices in Minnesota.

One thing I would suggest is to check your insurance coverage first. While it is true that most of the stuff that is done short of a replacement is merely a band-aid (my surgeon told me as much, admitting that anything he could do short of a replacement was only a short-term remedy at best) some insurances do require those band-aids, and will approve major replacement only in the event that the band-aids fail. Irritating as hell--it took me well over two years of dinking around when I could have had everything done--surgery and healing--in less than a year. But necessary.

Your insurance might be different. But it doesn't hurt to check.