View Single Post

Old 03-27-2024, 06:02 AM

I am in 5th week of recovery from TKR. Van de leur performed front procedure.

Since then I have also heard good things about Nguyen and his side procedure which I believe has a quicker less painful recovery.

I have also learned that not everyone is a candidate for the side procedure. Because of my age (80) and extent of damage I was not.

I think your approach is a good one. I will go slower when I start having problems with my good knee.

Currently, I can bend TKR 118° and am 5° short of a flat straight knee. I have 2 weeks left of physical therapy and it is a bitch. I believe your recovery and pain tolerance is a trade-off between how much pain meds you are comfortable with (side effects) and how diligent you are with therapy.

My opinion is that Van de Leur is a very competent surgeon. Based on what I have since learned, Nguyen might be slightly better.

However, my currently good knee will have to be a lot worse than my bad knee was before I would ever undergo a TKR on it.

Getting old is a bitch. Strengthening your knee is always a good idea, before surgery.

"Trust God with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, acknowledge Him in all your ways and He will direct your path."