View Single Post

Old 03-27-2024, 08:01 AM
Default Equipment needed for knee replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskopski View Post
My replacement was in 2019. Any surgeon you are considering you can google their education and experience info. Mine was not local so I can't give you a local name but can suggest a few things to make all easier for recovery.
Sign up now with a therapist to start building up your leg muscles so your muscles are strong post surgery rehab. Your doc will set you up with therapy group post surgery that will be in your home for several weeks then move to a local center for continued therapy. Go online Amazon and purchase a shower chair, a toilet seat elevation seat and an adjustable leg elevation pillow looks like a leg trough (you can thank me later) and Senecot. You will be miserable from the pain pills without the Senecot help. Knee replacement is so perfected and if you do all your exercises faithfully post surgery you will say why didn't I get this done sooner!
I agree with the recommended equipment noted above. I would add that you might also get at least 2 really good ice packs. For the toilet seat riser, please get one with arms to help you descend and rise safely. As an alternative, you could consider a bed side commode ( aka potty chair) that just sits over the toilet ( with the bucket removed). It can also be used as a shower chair. I will also add that post surgical pain combined with therapy is tough. In order to be successful, the pain must be controlled well enough to participate fully. Just sayin', as most people don't like to take their pain meds, and it can limit progress. The first 2 weeks are the worst. Best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery.