View Single Post

Old 04-01-2024, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,934 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Fr View Post
Last year I did talk to my pcp about the tests offered by the testing company. He ordered sonograms of the main arteries to the heart. My insurance would not pay for a sonogram of the carotid arteries. From what I've researched, often the first symptom of a blocked carotid artery is a stroke. If that is true my pcp would not know to order a sonogram. My cholesterol was a little high but now it's normal because of diet changes I made.
eh. . from cardiologists a better indication of heart attack potential is the calcium score from a calcium scan. I started with a cardiologist just for preventative heart attack protocols at 60, as my dad had heart attack at 60, my grandfather at 50.

My cholesterol was borderline, and my blood pressure has always been borderline.
Calcium scan came back extremely high! means that I have an elevated risk of a blood clot from plague breaking off and clogging up somewhere clear.

recommended cholesterol levels keep dropping. . drug company conspiracy? or better medical research on longevity?

I play soccer with the TV group, no symptoms, never had a symptom, even on the stress test monitor. But I have an elevated risk of a heart attack after the calcium scan, requested by an 70+ year old cardiologist. Old research docs are the best.

But i know people who are in the same place as I am with traditional blood work only and have had heart attacks.

My opinion, any risks factors, start seeing a cardiologist, as a PCPS are just generalists, and their only recommendations are drugs. . . my PCP recommends heart drug changes, and I constantly tell him i will go with the cardiologist recommendations.

Just my opinion, and I support the AED program as I know too many with heart attacks, including a ship captain i was with, and I had to take over and dock the ship as the chief mate, and got him an ambulance at the dock waiting for him.