View Single Post

Old 04-01-2024, 11:19 AM
Default ACA is the Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justputt View Post
I retire later this month, and our hospital's COBRA plan is $2,266/mo for the highest deductible. I can get Medicare, but my wife will be too young for Medicare for six more years. No way will I get any subsidy, so the question now shifts to ACA or market. We've found the ACA can be higher when there's no subsidy. Curious what others have found when one spouse needs pre-Medicare insurance and ACA "need tests" fail.
The "market" is the "ACA". The "ACA is the Affordable Care Act otherwise reffered to as Obamacare. You purchase an ACA plan from the marketplace. In Florida it is through Healthcare.gov. Other states could be different. The reason to use an ACA plan is because you can obtain coverage no matter your health. You can also possibly qualify for a subsidy. I believe employer plans are ACA plans.
You can try obtaining health insurance from other sources but they are not regulated the same way and I would not trust them personally.
Since the ACA has been enacted, we have paid very large premiums with very large deductibles. Basically we have catastrophic coverage, but the premium price is extremely high. We feel we need the coverage in case of a major accident or illness. Someone has to pay for the sicker people who cannot afford it.