View Single Post

Old 04-01-2024, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine View Post
The "market" is the "ACA". The "ACA is the Affordable Care Act otherwise reffered to as Obamacare. You purchase an ACA plan from the marketplace. In Florida it is through Healthcare.gov. Other states could be different. The reason to use an ACA plan is because you can obtain coverage no matter your health. You can also possibly qualify for a subsidy. I believe employer plans are ACA plans.
You can try obtaining health insurance from other sources but they are not regulated the same way and I would not trust them personally.
Since the ACA has been enacted, we have paid very large premiums with very large deductibles. Basically we have catastrophic coverage, but the premium price is extremely high. We feel we need the coverage in case of a major accident or illness. Someone has to pay for the sicker people who cannot afford it.
By market I meant retail market and not the marketplace. My son found insurance cheaper on the retail market than the ACA. IMO, ACA is a rip unless you qualify for a lot of subsidies. Otherwise, I agree with your observations.