View Single Post

Old 04-01-2024, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,941 Times in 930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetchit View Post
Lifeline screening literally saved my dad‘s life. He had 98% blockage in his carotid artery and his doctor did not catch it. He took his lifeline screening results in to His doctor and the doctor still didn’t believe it until they actually did some tests. They check things that your regular doctor doesn’t always do. If they find anything off, you can ask your doctor to then check it. It is worth the money and it is not that expensive. It could save your life. it is not a scam, it’s peace of mind.
A PCP is primarily a reactive MD, and secondarily a proactive MD. however, the proactive PCP has limited standard tools and tests, without a reactive reason. Same with cancer marker proactive screening, a PCP must have a reason to order tests so that insurance will cover it. Medical insurance is generally not a proactive but a reactive insurance policy to cover actual events.

Anyone with potential heart issues who wants to be proactive should engage a cardiologist, who has the tools and experience to better deal with the specialty issues than a PCP.

As far as cancer bloodwork screening, most men have a PSA test as standard and insurance covers it, woman have a mammogram as standard and insurance covers it. Colonoscopies are another. However, there are many more cancers which don't show any symptoms until its too late, especially pancreatic, where the prospect is usually fatal after discovery. There are markers in proactive blood work, but its on you. . .

I would definately pay for advanced blood screening looking for markets of cancer as that also runs in my family, which are not easily seen with blood or other standard testing.

YMMV