View Single Post

Old 04-03-2024, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,935 Times in 926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Wanted your thoughts on this Coach...couldnt find your original post/thread on the subject

Major US bridges could be vulnerable to ship collisions – including one just downstream from Baltimore’s Key bridge | CNN
Actually I am sportsguy, not that its that important. . but you might infer batting for the wrong team

We drive over that bridge all the time back and forth between MA and FL to avoid Baltimore and Washington DC. I have raced sailboats underneath it and raced at the Naval Academy in Annapolis every year in college. We were driving through DE from USMMA to USNA all the time in the late 70's, before the current MD 301 highway was finished.

All bridges are susceptible to ship collisions unless the cement foundations upon which they are built are onshore or in very shallow water. However, depending on the type of construction, some will withstand a collision better than others. . .

however, I am not any kind of engineer except financial, which is abstract, and have no background on physical engineering other than my brothers and my dad, and that was just too much work for me in college. I know enough engineering to get by with electric golf cart repair. .