View Single Post

Old 04-11-2024, 10:08 AM
Default An Honorable Game For Honorable People

I've been playing golf for 60 years and have always been proud of the fact that golf is a game of honor. Players keep their own score, write down an honest score (most of the time), call penalties on themselves when appropriate, etc. It's a game that polices itself. No umpires, no referees, no judges. Just your conscience.

Yet there apparently are some people in the game without honor and without conscience.

Last Saturday I and seven of my golf buds were at Eagle Ridge GC. Since the course was packed there were not enough carts available yet for us to load up. So the guy in charge said to leave our bags at the bag rack and as carts became available he'd get us from the practice green. While we were away from our bags some--what phrase shall I use--"low life" stole the driver from one of our players bag. It was a 10-year-old Callaway, but it was that guy's favorite driver. Plus the head cover--a gray donkey, of all things--had been a gift from his wife.

Not only were we shocked it had been stolen but the question was "What was the attraction--the driver, the head cover or just the fact that whoever took it could get away with it?

If the thief is a golfer, and if anybody knows who it is, I wouldn't trust him to police himself on the golf course--or anywhere else!