View Single Post

Old 04-14-2024, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,606 Times in 3,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
As you stated, up north they won't do anything unless they attack...person or domesticated animal.....or if they're visibly sickly or mangy. I know some have posted links to animal control...id be interested to see if they deal with it any different other than speaking to the owner/renter or neighbor that's feeding them. No different up north or here....theyre displaced from development. We've seen them in/around downtown Boston restaurants and residences... so even urban settings are a source as a result. Pretty resourceful
I didn't state that. But actually up north where I'm from (the semi-rural suburbs of New Haven County, Connecticut) if you see a coyote, it's because he's about to try and eat one of the chickens in your back yard, or is running away from a bear. The usual response to the chicken-poaching issue would be either give your really big, protective, scary-looking farm-dog a treat for protecting his farm and killing the coyote, or shoot it yourself with your shotgun. The response to the bear issue would be to bang some metal garbage can lids really loudly to scare the bear off and let the coyote continue running to someone else's neighborhood. I'm guessing neither option would go over very well around here in the Historic Section of The Villages.

Animal Shelter has no interest in wild coyotes unless someone reports that one of them tried to attack a stray dog.

I just checked the Florida Fish and Wildlife website. They refer people to commercial nuisance animal removal services, which you have to pay for.

So I guess the only thing I can do (which I was hoping to avoid) is contact the Lake County Sheriff's office and file a complaint against someone I don't know and can't identify, and give them the address of the house where the coyote den and the multiple pet bowls filled with canned food is located. Feeding coyotes is illegal in Florida.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 04-14-2024 at 06:43 PM.