View Single Post

Old 04-16-2024, 04:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobAugustine View Post
Today I received what appeared to be a returned piece of mail. It was returned because of lack of postage. It had my name and address on the return address. However, I never sent it.

The mail contained what appears to be a cashier's check made out to an individual in The Bronx, NY.

The amount of postage for this envelope was $1.10, but it was returned for insufficient postage. The postage said that $6.50 was needed to get this package that I received to a person I don't know.

I'm almost positive this is a scam. What I'm wondering is what is the scammer's angle? How are they going to make money?

Any input would be appreciated.

Best
Some of these guys pointed out the obvious, now for the small stuff missed.

1) you define as a package, yet you know what is in it. so a package is more than an envelope of which you could see the check. so which is it?
a. if a package - the postage could be appropriate, however you committed and offense as it's not your mail. This is typically called 'the bait', as you already did an illegal might as well go all the way. Yes it's silly but it works far more than you can imagine.
b. If an envelope then the $6.50 is far too high and a red flag something is up.

2) not sure if this was covered but in these types of scams there is a network of validation, you doing anything with this 'package' validates you idenity and location to more than just one person. It is possible that they try something else that is more convincing .

3) personally I would either turn it over to FBI as this is national/federal if they won't take it, then just destroy it. and move on. As one thing that is always a good after effect is you to continue thinking about this, it would make the next move even easier to complete.

This is why I love cyber security!