View Single Post

Old 04-22-2024, 03:02 PM
Veteran member

just for grins, I evaluated all of the funds that were mentioned in this post. 99% of them I wouldn't own them, some were disasters. Some of them did pay some higher yields but overall they weren't that great. Some of these made 15% or more the past year but weren't looking good in the future nor did the history. Go out and check them out yourselves, it's pretty easy.
My criteria: high return/low risk (some of the mentioned funds were high risk with low returns), low fees which are .1% or lower, good dividend (3% or higher), history of growth and dividend increases. low turnover, and managers have invested in their own funds (if active).

Some stats: ANGL, high risk high return, ytd return is -1.6%, 3 year return is -12%, 5 year return is -3%.
VIG pretty good overall
EDF, very bad, 3.7% expense, average return, highest risk, 3 year return -38%, 5 year return -61%
ryld is pretty bad too, .6% expense, ytd return -3%, 1 year return -11%, 3 year return -34%, 5 year return -36%

I have a few index funds that returned more than 150% over 5 years. All of them were over 60% growth over a 5 years period. If you do investing on your own, use the stock/fund screener to find these jewels. I have been in these same funds for over a decade, some over 20 years. I have gotten out of the market totally 2 times in 30 years, beginning of 2022 and 2 weeks ago. I feel it's safer to be in money market funds for a while. Getting out in 2022 and getting back in gradually over 2023 was very lucrative to say the least. Didn't need to wait to recover 30-35% loss that the market had. I hope this last pullout will see the same type of growth when I get back in. Money markets are over 5.3% right now.