View Single Post

Old 04-22-2024, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
I can tell you exactly what the share price of angl was 5 years ago and it was $28.91. Today it closed at $27.50, that’s not a 5% increase, it’s a $1.50 decrease, you can do the math for the %.

Even by using your stats which aren’t correct, a 6% gain over 10 years is worse than the average of 8% a year.
For comparison, 1 of my funds had a price of $200.89 5 years ago, and after the loses these past 2 weeks, the closing price today was $486.50, almost 130% gain over 5 years and this was not my best fund.
I don’t time the market, but if geopolitics or dumb things happen around us and I think we have a downturn coming, yes, I’ll go all money market until things get better. If I was still in the market these past 2 weeks, I would be down over $200k and we aren’t even close of the correction phase downturn that is occurring or the geopolitical problems being ironed out. If you think everything is going great, stay in.
Total return numbers provided came from Fidelity and cross checked with Merrill Lynch, which matched closely.

This thread was a request for high yield funds. High yield funds aren’t an equal comparison to stock performance. ANGL is a portion of the fixed income assets in my portfolio. A 50 (stocks) / 30 (bonds) / 20 (cash) mix has always worked for me. Some years stocks do (much) better, some years bonds do better. ANGL has just been a good provider of consistent, fairly safe income for me since 2016. It really doesn’t matter to me what the price was on a given day, it's the averages published by data providers that are relevant.

You may be right about a forthcoming, extended correction, but that is why I hold steady income providers, cash and short-term bonds along with long term equity holdings. Rebounds often happen too quickly.

OP, I also hold JEPI and that has performed well also but the income is not as steady and Seeking Alpha has written it up as a fund that cannot sustain it’s dividend level. The fund indeed has recently had periods of lower dividends (dividends vary by month).