View Single Post

Old 04-23-2024, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2inOR View Post
I'm not ruling out that another Costco might be added down South.

I moved here from Oregon 4 years ago. From my home in Beaverton, we had 5 Costco's within 25 minutes. All has 95% of the same products, but that other 5% got me to visit each of them quite frequently.

Costco works on volume and knowing its customers. The new Clermont Costco is quite busy and quite crowded, so they have new data for their future plans.

The Villages and its partners now own that huge swath of land between I-75/301 and 44/Colman. That's a lot of acreage to fill with residential, commercial, and industrial development.

Perhaps in my lifetime <grin and a wink>.
Well, a lot of it is population density and average household disposable income. When I lived in South Orange County (CA), I had 3 Costcos within 15 minutes: two in Laguna Niguel and the one in San Juan Capistrano. I had 4 Trader Joe's within 10 minutes (Laguna Niguel, Laguna Beach, San Clemente, and Aliso Viejo). All the Costcos had food courts, tire stations, gas stations, pharmacies, and optometrists. The SJC one had a carwash!

However, South OC is quite dense and has an exceptionally high average household disposable income. It is not dense like NYC, but dense like L.A., with a higher household income. That is why shops like Tiffany, Cartier, Louis Vuitton, etc. are all either South Coast Plaza or Fashion Island malls. Many 2nd tier stores at nearby Shoppes at Mission Viejo also.

Not sure The Villages can boast that type of demographic that would encourage Costco to build yet a third Villages-adjacent store. Or TJ's even a single store : (