View Single Post

Old 04-23-2024, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
I can't believe that there are people who can easily afford to live in TV but are such cheapskates they would use an antenna for broadcast TV & put up with commercials. And only being able to watch shows they may like at certain times, no pausing to come back and finish it later (or taking it with you on your phone) like you can with streaming video. Not to mention, the really good shows and movies are streaming and not on broadcast TV. Wow...how prehistoric!
Foolish comment. I use both OTA and a number of streaming services to customize what I want to watch. Why do I not get a cable/satellite/YouTube TV set up? Because there is very little I want to watch on what those $70+ per month platforms offer, much less DVR. For the $120 I spent once I get all of the networks, plus a number of substations, and even some movie channels. If I don't watch anything on them for a week, I'm not thinking that I'm wasting my money. Honestly, the only thing I watch on them with any consistency is live sports.

Sure, I can afford to pay for it. But I didn't come to TV to watch TV. Would rather take that $70 per month and go out to dinner or an event, or put it towards a new golf club or pickleball racquet. Not watching some dumb reality show or the latest episode of "The Masked Singer", or heaven forbid "The View".

This philosophy in other parts of my life allowed me to retire early and move down here, with alot of healthy life left. I can watch TV in 20 years if I want. It's not going anywhere.

And if I die unexpectedly younger, I guarantee I will not be on my deathbed saying "Oh, if I had only watched more TV!"