View Single Post

Old 04-25-2024, 06:51 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,112 Times in 305 Posts

I used to tow a Smart car behind my RV. It was a lousy choice, even for that application. The new ones cost more than a real car and can't even be towed. You certainly can't drive one on a golf course!

I foolishly didn't confirm that my $3000 toad came with a spare key. Turns out the only place you can buy a spare is the Mercedes dealer and they're $500 a copy. Then, the coolant fan went out, and the Mercedes dealer wanted $4000 to replace it -- or $2500 at my usual mechanic. Why? Because you had to remove the BODY to get to the $120 part! But good news everybody! It was designed to run without one! In fact, the European version didn't even come with one. So we made do by watching the temp gauge and pulling over to let it cool down when the gauge hit 250. It took two hours to get back to the RV camp from the Parthenon one July day in Nashville. What a piece of junk!

Tell your friend he's better off buying a used golf cart than a Smart Car (especially for the golf course, for crying out loud!)